Physical Therapist Assistant
|Physical Therapist Assistant, A.A.S.||Degree||A.A.S.|
|Applied Science, B.A.S.||Degree||B.A.S.|
|Health Science, B.S. with Concentration in Health Occupations||Degree||B.S.|
This program will provide students with the skills and knowledge to:
- Be a member of the health care team that plans and implements a rehabilitative patient care program.
- Under the supervision of a physical therapist, the PTA will carry out a treatment program that includes, but is not limited to, therapeutic activities to improve strength, endurance, coordination, balance, and range of motion.
- Learn and then safely utilize modalities including: heat, cold, electricity, sound, water, or massage to relieve pain, promote the healing process, and stimulate muscle activity.
- Instruct patients in safe functional mobility skills and therapeutic activities using assistive devices such as walkers, crutches, canes, and wheelchairs when appropriate.
- Assist the physical therapist in performing tests and assessments, as well as observing and reporting patient responses to treatment.
The PTA graduate works with the Physical Therapist in performing rehabilitation interventions, patient assessments, as well as observing and reporting patient responses to treatment.
The Physical Therapist Assistant program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). Graduates of the program will be eligible to sit for the national examination for licensure for physical therapist assistants.
General Education requirements must be completed with a cumulative 2.0 GPA. All other courses in the program must be completed with a ‘C’ or higher. If students fail to meet the grade requirements, they will be dismissed from the PTA program. Students who are dismissed may petition to return the following year; however, re-entry is not guaranteed but dependent on the approval of the petition and availability of a seat in that year's cohort of students. More detailed information is available in the program's student handbook:
For a Program Information Packet showing descriptions of each option, course descriptions, lists of course sequences, and the cost of books, tools, uniforms, fees, and other expenses, go online to https://www.isu.edu/pta/.