Classifications of Degree-Seeking Graduate Students


Classified Status

The Graduate School holds minimum requirements for Classified admission to Idaho State University. Individual programs may have individual requirements that may meet or exceed the minimum Graduate School requirements. One of the following requirements must be met to be eligible to be admitted to Classified status in graduate master's programs:

  1. Graduates of regionally accredited institutions who have earned a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher, with an undergraduate degree-seeking GPA or the last 60 credits taken at the undergraduate level.  Official scores for the GRE/GMAT/MAT may be required for individual programs.
  2. Graduates of regionally accredited institutions who have earned a grade point average (GPA) of 2.5-2.99, with an undergraduate degree-seeking GPA or the last 60 credits taken at the undergraduate level and upon submission of appropriate GRE/GMAT/MAT scores.

Doctoral students must meet individual department GPA and standardized test requirements. See department sections of this catalog for complete information.

The College of Business requires the GMAT. The Department of Counseling and the College of Education accept the MAT in lieu of the GRE. Please see the department sections for this information.

(return to top of page)

Classified (with Performance Requirements) [Classified (w/PR)] Status

Classified (with Performance Requirements) [i.e., Classified (w/PR)] status is a transitional status and is not a valid status for a student to graduate.

In order to graduate, a student must have Classified status (see the following section "Change from Classified (w/PR) to Classified Status").

A department/college/division may, at its discretion, recommend admission for graduate students in a degree program with Classified (w/PR) status to ascertain their ability to do graduate work within a particular curriculum. Students admitted to Classified (w/PR) status are those who may not have satisfactorily met all admission requirements.

Classified (w/PR) status also may be recommended by a department for students whose credentials do not meet specific departmental requirements. NOTE: Students admitted to Classified (w/PR) status should ascertain their eligibility for federal financial aid. Such students are not eligible to receive Idaho State University graduate assistantships or Non-resident tuition waivers.

(return to top of page)

Change from Classified (w/PR) to Classified Status

The following criteria are used to determine if a student is eligible to change her/his admission status from Classified (w/PR) status to Classified:

  1. The student must complete at least nine graduate credits and maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher;
  2. If the GRE/GMAT/MAT was not taken by the student prior to admission to Classified (w/PR) status, the student must take the GRE/GMAT/MAT specified in the Admission notification.

Upon completion of either of the above two criteria, a request to change the student’s status to Classified may be submitted to the Dean of the Graduate School. The academic program may require the completion of both criteria in order to meet Classified status. The following steps must be followed to accomplish this change:

  1. At any time after meeting either of the above criteria, a student may initiate an Approval for Change of Student Status in the Graduate School. The department/college/division may also initiate the change and should do so by written request when the student has met the required criteria.
  2. The change from Classified (w/PR) to Classified status must be approved by the Dean of the Graduate School.

If a student admitted to Classified (w/PR) status fails to meet the conditions for admission stated on the Admission notification, the student's admission may be revoked.

(return to top of page)

Unclassified (Non-degree Seeking Students) Status

Individuals holding a bachelor's degree who desire to take courses for graduate credit for personal or professional enrichment but who do not want to pursue a graduate degree are eligible to apply for admission to Unclassified (non-degree seeking) status. Students who are admitted to Unclassified status are allowed to register for a maximum of 9 graduate credits per semester. Since an Unclassified status student is not seeking a degree, course and/or program advising, except on an informal basis if requested, will not be provided.

(return to top of page)