A.A.S. Energy Systems Nuclear Operations Technology, Nuclear Facility Technician Concentration
- Apply a fundamental knowledge of mathematics, sciences (e.g. - physics, chemistry, and thermodynamics), and an understanding of the nuclear process while working in the nuclear industry.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and analytical problem solving skills, with special emphasis on workplace, environmental, and safety concerns, to solve professional and technical challenges in the nuclear industry.
- Exhibit an understanding and adherence to the professional, social and ethical standards of the nuclear industry.
- Practice a commitment to be professionally and technically current with changing technologies in the nuclear industry through self-improvement and lifelong learning.
- Demonstrate communication and teamwork skills in diverse and multidisciplinary teams, while striving for increasing responsibilities and positions of leadership in the nuclear industry.
Apply knowledge of mathematics and natural sciences (physics, chemistry, thermodynamics and electrical sciences) to solve related problems.
Demonstrate a knowledge of nuclear physics, reactor protection, design, materials and radiation protection to analyze and solve nuclear industry problems.
Demonstrate a knowledge of nuclear plant system operations, plant components and an ability to interpret drawings during operational troubleshooting, and maintenance evolutions.
Integrate and apply knowledge of nuclear technical material, safety procedures and operations to analyze abnormal, emergency and nuclear accident scenarios.
Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of Conduct of Operations.
Demonstrate effective written and oral communication in individual and group environments.
Demonstrate the ability to collect, analyze, and interpret data; report findings including observations and appropriate recommendations.
Demonstrate an understanding of the Federal, State and Local regulations, standards and rules applying to the nuclear industry, as well as safe work practices.
Demonstrate an understanding of ethical responsibilities required in the nuclear industry.
10. Demonstrate the ability to provide leadership and function as a member of a team.
Program Admissions Requirements
The listing below includes program requirements that also fulfill General Education requirements.
|Objective 1 - ENGL 1101, ENGL 1101P or ENGL 1102||3|
|Objective 2 - COMM 1101||3|
|Objective 3 - MATH 1143, MATH 1153, MATH 1160 or MATH 1170||3|
|Any unfilled objective - TGE 1257||3|
|ESET 0100||Engineering Technology Orientation||1|
|ESET 0100L||Engineering Technology Orientation Lab||1|
|ESET 0121||Basic Electricity and Electronics||4|
|ESET 0121L||Basic Electricity and Electronics Laboratory||3|
|ESET 0122||Electrical Systems and Motor Control Theory||3|
|ESET 0122L||Electrical Systems and Motor Control Theory Laboratory||1|
|ESET 0140||Applied Technical Intermediate Algebra||5|
|ESET 0151||Nuclear Industry Fundamental Concepts||3|
|ESET 0151L||Nuclear Industry Fundamental Concepts Lab||1|
|ESET 0152||Nuclear Careers and Information||1|
|ESET 0153||Radiological Control Fundamentals||3|
|ESET 0220||Thermal Cycles and Heat Transfer||2|
|ESET 0221||Nuclear Steam Supply Systems||2|
|ESET 0239||Pumps, Valves, and Fluid Flow||5|
|ESET 0239L||Pumps, Valves, and Fluid Flow Laboratory||4|
|ESET 0242||Practical Process Measurements and Control||2|
|ESET 0248||Power Plant Documentation and Procedures||2|
|ESET 0249||Reactor Plant Materials||3|
|ESET 0250||Radiation Detection and Protection||2|
|ESET 0261||Glovebox and Manipulator Operations Lab||4|
|ESET 0279||Conduct of Operations||4|
|ESET 0280||Capstone and Case Studies in Nuclear Engineering Technology||2|
|Choose one of the following Objective 3 courses:||3|
or MATH 1153
or MATH 1160
|Survey of Calculus|
or MATH 1170
|Choose one of the following:||3|
|Introduction to Chemistry|
| General Chemistry I|
and General Chemistry I Lab
|COMM 1101||Fundamentals of Oral Communication||3|
|ENGL 1102||Writing and Rhetoric II||3|
|Elements of Physics|
and Elements of Physics Laboratory
|TGE 1257||Applied Ethics in Technology||3|
|General Education Objective 6||3|
|Program Admission Requirements||0|
|Major Requirements (Required General Education credits removed.)||60|