Recommendations regarding admission will be made by the co-directors of the TESOL program in conjunction with the Graduate Director.
For admission into the TESOL Certificate program, applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- An accumulative grade point average of 3.0 over the last two years of undergraduate course work for the B.A.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from professors, or colleagues who know the applicant’s recent academic or professional work.
- Applicants whose first language is not English need to meet the following TOEFL requirements for Classified admission:
- Internet-based test (iBT): a total score of 80 with a score of at least 20 on each Section (graduate assistants who teach courses must score 23 or above on the Speaking Section) on the iBT; or
- Computer-based test: a total score of 213 with a score of at least 21 on Section 1 (Listening Comprehension) on the computer test; or
- Paper-based test: a total score of 550 with a score of at least 55 on Section l (Listening Comprehension) on the paper test, or a score of 84 on the MTELP, or a score of 6 on the IELTS.
- Optional: GRE general test scores may be submitted for consideration, but are not required for admission.
It is strongly recommended that applicants have some knowledge of a second language.
The certificate program is 12 credits and is granted alone or in addition to a graduate degree.
All students must take the following courses:
|ENGL 6680||Introduction to Linguistics||3|
|ENGL 6681||Theory of Second Language Acquisition||3|
|ENGL 6682||TESL Methodology||3|
|ENGL 7783||Practicum in Second Language Teaching||3|