Graduate Expenses

Graduate Expenses

Fees are subject to change without advance notice by the Idaho State Board of Education prior to the first official day of class. (See “Policy Statement Concerning Graduate Catalog Contents” on the title page of this catalog.)

In general, the expenses for Idaho State University graduate students may be divided into classifications of fees, board, and room. In addition to the fees listed, some courses may require the expense of special uniforms, protective clothing, field trip expenses, lab fees, or instructional costs for remedial courses.

Enrollment Fees

Graduate students will be charged fees as full-time students whenever they enroll for 9 credits or more. For financial aid purposes, graduate assistants/fellows and students receiving other financial aid must enroll for 9 credits per semester to be considered full-time.

Certain programs require full-time summer study. Students in these programs are assessed full-time fees during the summer semester.

2016-2017 Fees and Tuition:

Please visit for updated information on fees and tuition.

(return to top of page)

Idaho Residency

Requirements for Fee Payment

Residency for tuition purposes is governed by Idaho Code § 33-3717 and the residency rules of the State Board of Education. Although a full-time regularly-enrolled resident student is not required to pay tuition while enrolled at Idaho State University, students are charged fees for educational costs excluding the cost of instruction in accordance with the Idaho State System of Higher Education “Notice to Nonresidents of the State of Idaho.”

A student is a “resident” for purposes of fee payment if:

  1. He/She has a parent or court appointed guardian currently domiciled in Idaho who has maintained a bona fide domicile in Idaho for at least one year prior to the opening day of the term for which the student enrolls; or
  2. He/She receives less than 50% financial support from parents or guardians who are not residents of Idaho and has continuously resided in Idaho for at least 12 months prior to the opening day of the term for which the student enrolls and has established a bona fide domicile in Idaho primarily for purposes other than educational; or
  3. He/She is a graduate of an accredited secondary school in the state of Idaho and is enrolled in a college or university in Idaho during the semester immediately following such graduation regardless of the residence of his/her parents or guardians; or
  4. He/She is the spouse of an Idaho resident or person who qualifies for Idaho residency; or
  5. He/She (or his/her parent or guardian) is an active duty member of the United States armed forces (only the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine Corps) stationed in Idaho on military orders and the student receives 50% or more financial support from parent or guardian; or
  6. He/She is separated, under honorable conditions, from the United States armed forces (a certified copy of the DD-214 separation papers may be requested) after at least two years of active duty service and has Idaho as the home of record in service or elects Idaho as his/her intended domicile within one year of separation and enters a college or university in Idaho within one year of the date of separation; or
  7. He/She is a member of any one of the Idaho Native American Indian Tribes (Coeur d’Alene, Shoshone-Paiute, Nez Perce, Shoshone-Bannock, Kootenai, or Eastern Shoshone), regardless of current domicile.

Any individual who has been domiciled in the state of Idaho, has qualified as a resident and would otherwise be qualified under the provisions of this statute and who is away from the state for a period of less than one (1) calendar year and has not established legal residence elsewhere provided a twelve (12) month period of continuous residency has been established immediately prior to departure is considered an Idaho resident for purposes of fee payment.

Direct specific questions to: Idaho State University, Admissions Office, 921 S 8th Ave Stop 8270, Pocatello, ID 83209-8270, (208)-282-4096

 A “Non-Resident” Student shall Include:

Any student attending an institution in this state with the aid of financial assistance provided by another state or governmental unit or agency thereof, such non-residency continuing for one (1) year after the completion of the semester for which such assistance is last provided. Any person who is not a citizen of the United States of America, who does not have permanent or temporary resident status or does not hold “refugee-parolee” or “conditional entrant” status with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service or is not otherwise permanently residing in the U.S. under color of the law and who does not also meet and comply with all applicable requirements for establishing residency as covered under these provisions.

Establishing a New Domicile in Idaho:

The establishment of a new domicile in Idaho by a person formerly domiciled in another state has occurred if such person is physically present in Idaho primarily for purposes other than educational and can show satisfactory proof that such person is without a present intention to return to such other state or to acquire a domicile at some other place outside of Idaho. Residency decisions for fee payment purposes are made by the Admissions Office. 

This notice provides for appeal from a final determination denying residency status in the following way:

Appeal may be initiated by the filing of an action in the District Court of Bannock County wherein Idaho State University is located; an appeal from the District Court shall lie as in all civil actions. Normal Idaho residency requirements shall be in force for students who apply for some special graduate and professional programs. These include but are not limited to the Idaho Dental Education Program (IDEP); the WAMI (Washington, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) Regional Medical Education Program; the University of Utah College of Medicine; the WOI (Washington, Oregon, Idaho) Regional Program in Veterinary Medicine; the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) Professional Student Exchange Programs (medicine, optometry and occupational therapy); and Graduate Education Program. Students who initially enroll at Idaho State University as nonresidents and later wish to be considered for a change in residency status may submit an Idaho Residency Determination Worksheet (IRDW) with the appropriate documentation. IRDWs intended to change residency status for the current term are accepted through the tenth day of classes.

NOTE: It is the responsibility of the person requesting reclassification of residency status to provide clear and convincing evidence of bona fide domicile in Idaho.

(return to top of page)

Other Fees and Charges

Graduate Classified (degree seeking) Application/Processing Fee.....$60.00

Unclassified (non-degree seeking) Application/Processing Fee.....$30.00

Late fee (after semester has started).....$50.00

Reapplication fee .....$60.00

Change of Status (unclassified to classified).....$60.00

Graduate International Degree Seeking Application/Processing Fee.......$60.00

Graduate Conditional Admission IEI/ELS Application/Processing Fee......$55.00

For additional information, please visit

Class Fees (in addition to regular registration fees)

Many university classes require additional fees for specialized instruction and/or supplies. See the Class Schedule for class fees required for specific courses.

Late Registration Processing Fees

Second through 10th day of classes.....$50.00

After 10th day of classes.....$100.00

To help defray the extra cost involved with late registration, processing fees are charged in addition to any other regular fees. All students (full-time, part-time, faculty, staff, etc.) paying fees after the deadline for fee payment are charged a late processing fee. The cashier is not authorized to accept late registration fee payment without the appropriate late processing fee. This fee is non-refundable. No department or employee of the university, other than those specifically authorized, has the authority to waive the fee.

Faculty, Staff and Spouse Registration Fee.....$20.00 + $5.00 per credit hour

A copy of the current “Education Policy for Idaho State University Employees” is available in the Human Resources Office. Verification of employment and authorization forms for reduction in fees can be obtained from the Human Resources Office.

Senior Citizen Registration Fee.....$20.00+ $5.00 per credit hour

Age 60 years or older: proper identification indicating date of birth is required. Fee reduction applies to Idaho residents only. It does not apply to special class fees. Fee is for courses on a space available basis only.

Transcript Fee

Please see information at:

Application for Graduation and Diploma Processing Fee .....$20.00

This fee is collected from each applicant for each graduate degree and for each certificate. This fee is paid to the Office of the Registrar.

Reprocessing Fee for Graduation .....$20.00

This fee is paid to the Graduate School.

Housing Costs

Please contact University Housing for more information, Stop 8083, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209, or (208)282 -2120.

(return to top of page)

Refund Policy

General Fee Refunds

The Refund Policy applies to all for-credit classes regardless of location of the class.

All fee refunds will be paid by University check.

When any student enrolled in for-credit classes withdraws from Idaho State University or makes schedule changes that reduce the fee obligation, refunds are made on the following basis:

General University Fees Paid Without Use of a Fee Reduction Program

Refunds are calculated and authorized by the Office of Financial Services. The drop/withdrawal date is the actual date the drop or withdrawal form is received by an authorized University office or automated system.

Refunds of registration charges for full-time fees, part-time credit hour fees, nonresident tuition, professional program fees, and departmental fees are calculated on the total amount of fees paid, using the first official day of the University semester or session as the starting date.

Federal financial aid provisions may require funds to be returned to federal programs in excess of your ISU refund. In such situations, you will be billed for the excess remitted by the University in your behalf.

The official starting and ending dates of all classes are those designated by the University registrar.

Percentage Refund of Computed Base

Fall and Spring Semester:

Classes cancelled by the University.....100%

16-week classes for the first (10) ten days of university classes and 8-week classes for the first (5) five days of University classes.....100%

16-week classes for the next (5) five days (third week) of University classes and 8-week classes for the next (5) days (second week) of University classes.....50%

16-week classes dropped after the third week of classes. 8-week classes dropped after the tenth day of classes.....No Refunds

Summer Session:

Classes cancelled by the University.....100%

Full term session (May - Aug) for the first 10 days of University classes and 4, 6, 8 week sessions dropped in the first 5 days of University classes.....100%

Workshop classes dropped before the 1st day of the workshop.....100%

Full term session (May - Aug) for the next 5 days (3rd week) of University classes and 4, 6, 8 week classes dropped in the next 5 days (2nd week).....50%

 For classes, short courses, continuing education classes, and workshops with nonstandard starting and ending dates, refund requests are reviewed on an exception basis. The official starting and ending dates are those designated by the University registrar.

Non-Refundable Fee Charges/Payments

  1. Reduced fee charges authorized by the State Board of Education. Examples include faculty/staff/spouse reduced fees, senior citizen reduced fees, education contract classes, etc.
  2. Late processing charges.
  3. Amounts paid to satisfy unpaid fees/charges from previous terms.
  4. Amounts paid for student malpractice insurance.
  5. Student Health Insurance premiums are not refunded under this policy. Please contact the Student Insurance Coordinator at (208) 282-2972.

Refunds for Exceptional Circumstances

In specific cases, as listed below, a full refund of the registration tuition and fees, credit hour fee, non-resident tuition and professional fees will be granted following official withdrawal from the University, provided the withdrawal process is completed during the first half of the semester or session (i.e., first eight weeks of a semester, first four weeks of a session). Proper documentation must be presented and approval granted by the offices of Student Affairs and Finance and Administration before the refund will be processed.

  1. Induction of the student into the U.S. armed forces.
  2. Incapacitating illness or injury that prevents the student from returning to school for the remainder of the term. A medical withdrawal must be processed through the University Student Health Center.
  3. Death of a student.
  4. Death of spouse, child, parent, or legal guardian of student.

Deductions from Calculated/Authorized Refund

The University reserves the right to deduct amounts owed the University from refunds. Refunds of fees for the term, less any outstanding fee loan balances for the term, are applied to the financial aid awarded to the student in the priority sequence shown below:

  1. Amounts required by law to be returned to Federal Financial Aid programs
  2. Third party agency payments of actual tuition and fees
  3. University authorizations specifically for the payment of tuition and fees (i.e., graduate teaching assistant, athletics, etc.)
  4. Federal aid programs (see Financial Aid Handbook for priority)
  5. Miscellaneous outstanding balances due the University
  6. University loan programs
  7. University and donor scholarship programs

Payment of Refund to Student

A University check for the refund balance is mailed to the home address of the student, along with an itemized disclosure of any deductions. Refund checks are processed four weeks after the beginning of the term, or a minimum of three weeks after the date of payment if the student paid the charges.

Registration Refund Appeals

Contact the Vice President of Student Affairs or the University Controller for information about the University registration fee refund appeal process. Appeals should be submitted in writing before the end of the term for which the student is appealing.

Room and Board Fees

Students who fail to complete their agreement with University Housing will have their room and board fees pro-rated and, after appropriate penalties have been deducted, may receive a refund. See University Housing for details on residence hall and apartment living, and for details on any penalties for breaking agreements.

Delinquent Accounts

The cancellation of registration and withholding of academic credit of any student with a delinquent account or an unsatisfactory financial relationship with the Office of Finance and Administration is authorized without further notice, provided an attempt has been made to notify the student by the campus department in which the hold originated. This regulation may be invoked at the discretion of the Vice President, Finance and Administration, in cases of disregard in the settlement of returned checks, residence hall damage, library fines, telephone toll charges, overdue notes, traffic fines, room and/or board charges, apartment rental charges, etc.

Dishonored Check Policy

A charge is assessed each time a check is returned, the amount is charged to the student’s account, and the student is so notified. If the check is not cleared within ten (10) days, a second notice is sent and a “hold” placed on his/her records.

Any check tendered in payment of registration fees and subsequently returned by the bank will result in automatic postponement of the student’s registration.

In the case of a check tendered in payment for room and board and subsequently returned by the bank, the student is notified immediately and allowed not more than five (5) days for the check to clear. If not cleared within that time, the student’s meal ticket and/or room reservations is canceled.

(return to top of page)

Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974

Idaho State University in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), is responsible for maintaining educational records and monitoring the release of information of those records. Staff and faculty with access to student educational records are legally responsible for protecting the privacy of the student by using information only for legitimate educational reasons to instruct, advise, or otherwise assist students.

Only those records defined as "directory information" may be released without the express written permission of the student. Directory information includes the student's name, address listings, telephone listings, e-mail addresses, full-time/part-time status, class level, college, major field of study, degree types and dates, enrollment status, club and athletic participation records, and dates of attendance including whether or not currently enrolled. No other information contained in a student's educational records may be released to any outside party without the written consent of the student.

A student may restrict release of all directory information by filing a Declaration of Non-disclosure of Educational Record Information form in the Office of Registration and Records. Students may choose to restrict release of their address and telephone listings only. This may be done through BENGALWEB. This restriction will apply to the students' address and telephone listings only; all other directory listings will continue to be available for release.

Students must request complete directory information restriction or address/phone listing restrictions during the first week of the fall term to prevent their information from being published in the Student Directory. Any restriction is permanent and remains in place even after the student has stopped attending or has graduated from the University unless the student requests, in writing, that it be removed. Additional FERPA information may be found on the web at:

(return to top of page)

Back to Top