Transfer of Credits

Transfer of Credits

Master’s Degrees

All graduate credits must be earned as Idaho State University resident credits except for the following:

In all master's degree programs, a total of 9 semester credits may be transferred from a regionally accredited institution. Transfer of credits from a regionally accredited institution are acceptable only if the courses are specifically approved by the Graduate School and the academic department of Idaho State University when the final program of study is submitted. In these instances, only the credit hours transfer, not the grades.

Official transcripts to be used for transfer of credits in a degree program must be received by the Graduate School before application for a degree will be approved.

Intra-institutional Transfer

Transfer of Credits from Unclassified to Classified Status

Students may petition the Dean of the Graduate School to transfer course work taken while admitted to Unclassified status to a degree program. The total number shall not be more than 30% of the total credits of the program of study required of each student for the degree.

Transfer of Credits from One Program to Another

There are no limits to the number of Idaho State University credits that may be applied toward a master’s degree program or certificate program that were originally earned in a different degree program if:

  1. The student was not awarded a degree in the original program, and
  2. The department approves the transfer of such credits and the courses taken meet the requirements for the degree approved by the Graduate Council.

There are no limitations with respect to electives that exceed the requirement for the degree.

Departments and/or colleges/divisions may allow students to apply up to 9 semester credits earned at Idaho State University to two master’s degrees with Graduate School approval.

Doctoral Programs

Departments may accept credits by transfer in total or in part from a master’s degree earned at Idaho State University or at another accredited institution regardless of age of the courses. See section on "Time Limits" for further discussion of this policy.

Deadline for Transfer Credit Request

Requests for transfer credits need to be submitted to the Graduate School within the 1st year of program enrollment and prior to submission of program of study. 

Back to Top