College of Health Professions
Students in the CHP engage challenging and contemporary curricula under the direction of highly skilled and nationally-recognized faculty. All programs in the CHP are nationally accredited and graduates across all programs boast high employment/placement rates. CHP graduates are highly regarded by their employers; many have become prominent leaders in their fields.
Academic programs within the CHP represent some of the fastest growing occupations across the nation. Visit these programs' websites and learn why the College of Health Professions has become a destination site for students pursuing careers in the allied health professions.
Community and Public Health
The Health Education program prepares individuals, groups, and organizations to educate and facilitate the voluntary adoption of actions and behaviors conducive to health. Students are also prepared to perform the seven areas of responsibilities and competencies of entry-level health educators as described by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC). New to CPH: the Master of Science in Health Infomatics (MSHI) is now housed in the Department of Community and Public Health.
The principle mission of the Department of Counseling is to prepare quality counselors for various settings in Idaho and the nation. More specifically, we seek to prepare quality School Counselors for public schools in K-12 settings, Marital, Couple and Family Counselors and Clinical Mental Health Counselors for community agencies and other mental health settings, and Student Affairs Counselors for working in college settings such as advising, residence halls, and career centers.
We prepare doctoral level counselor educators and supervisors to serve as faculty members in counselor education programs, counselor supervisors in various settings, doctoral level counselors, leaders in higher education and counseling organizations, and scholars.
We provide a quality educational experience for our dental hygiene students and are the only program in the state of Idaho to offer a Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree in Dental Hygiene. The fundamental philosophy of Idaho State University Department of Dental Hygiene is threefold.
- First, its members are committed to excellence in all academic endeavors.
- Second, the program is progressive in instituting ongoing changes to prepare for the future of dental hygiene.
- Third, as a component of the university's primary emphasis area, the program serves statewide and regional needs by providing access to quality education in the discipline as well as meeting the employment demands and oral health needs of the public.
The Department of Dental Sciences at Idaho State University provides two distinct programs. Both programs produce professional, high quality dentists, many of whom choose to remain in Idaho and the Rocky Mountain region. The Department of Dental Sciences has set a number of landmark accomplishments:
- First Dental Residency in the State of Idaho
- First and only Dentistry Degree Program in Idaho
- 70% of IDEP graduates choose to practice in Idaho
- 50% of IDEP graduates serve in rural practices
Emergency services ensure public safety and health by planning for and responding to different emergency situations such as structural and wildland fires, medical emergencies, natural and human-caused disasters, search and rescue, and hazardous materials exposure.
The Emergency Services Department offers the following degrees and programs:
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science Concentration in Emergency Medical Services, LIVE ONLINE!
- Community Paramedic Academic Certificate, LIVE ONLINE!
- Emergency Management Associate of Science and Bachelor of Science, LIVE ONLINE!
- Fire Services Administration Associate of Science and Bachelor of Science, LIVE ONLINE!
- Paramedic Science Associate of Science and/or Paramedic Science Academic Certificate, Classroom-based at Meridian Health Science Center and Idaho Falls ISU campus
There is a place in the United States where you can learn procedurally rich family medicine in an environment unlike any other. The Family Medicine Residency at Idaho State University provides:
- Unopposed, university-affiliated program
- Hospital in rural mountain setting
- High-volume obstetrical C-section and procedural experience
Medical Laboratory Science
Medical Laboratory Scientists are responsible for the development, implementation performance, and utilization of laboratory tests in the health care setting. Currently it is listed second among the top ten most valuable BS degrees in terms of average pay of graduates and employment rate. ISU offers a NAACLS accredited program at the B.S, second B.S. and M.S. levels, all of which include the yearlong professional program of study which culminates in eligibility to take the national credentialing examination.
Nutrition & Dietetics
The ISU MS in Nutrition degree provides the knowledge and skills needed to effectively promote evidence-based nutrition interventions. The program prepares graduates with advanced knowledge and skills to:
- Help individuals make behavioral changes to improve their health outcomes
- Spur systemic behavioral changes at the community and population levels
- Address major public health issues across the life span, including but not limited to, obesity, diabetes, and chronic disease
The program includes two tracks:
- MS in Nutrition stand alone
- MS in Nutrition combined with Dietetic Internship
Physician Assistant Studies
Physician Assistants (PAs) are highly skilled health practitioners who work under physician supervision to provide patient care services. PAs take complete medical histories, perform physical examinations, order and interpret diagnostic studies, such as laboratory tests and x-rays, diagnose and treat patients. Physician Assistants improve the accessibility of health care of underserved individuals in both urban and rural settings. The Physician Assistant Program at Idaho State University is the only PA Program in the state of Idaho.
The Radiographic Science program at Idaho State University prepares students to work as imaging professionals in hospitals and clinics throughout the United States. State of the art equipment and on site laboratory experiences enhances learning while on campus. The off campus clinical experience provides students with 1500 hours of internship at local hospitals and clinics. Our philosophy is that students who learn from experts become experts.